Abundant Life Wellness center
Young Living Essential Oils
How do you use essential oils?
The following how-to-use essential oils guide will show you how to experience their health-enhancing benefits:
Topical application of many essential oils is safe and can offer an enjoyable, relaxing experience. For topical application, follow these simple steps:
- Carefully tip the oil bottle and place 2–3 drops in the palm of your hand or directly on the desired application area.
- If dropping oil in your hand, rub palms together in a circular motion and then massage oil onto the desired point of application. If applying directly to the desired area, use your hand to massage the oil in a circular motion into the skin. Repeat if desired.
- Caution: Essential oils are very potent and some may be irritating to the skin. If irritation occurs, immediately apply pure vegetable oil such as V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex to the area to dilute. Please read label directions for each individual oil before using.
- Put 5-6 drops in your bath water for inhalation and absorption into skin.
Inhaling essential oils heightens the senses and can trigger numerous desired responses in the body. Follow these guidelines when using essential oils for inhalation:
- Inhale directly—simply smell them.
- Diffuse the oils using a diffuser, which disperses the oil in a micro-fine vapor into the air. The diffuser will not heat the oils, thus ensuring full benefits, as extreme heat can damage important constituents in the oil.
- Use with a humidifier. Put a tissue or small cloth, sprinkled with a few drops of oil, in front of the escaping steam. (Do not put essential oil in your humidifier. It will float on top of the water instead of rising with the water vapor and may cause damage to your humidifier.)
- Carefully pour hot water into a bowl and add a few drops of essential oil. Cover your head and bowl in a tent-like fashion with a towel. Breathe deeply and slowly.
Many essential oils make excellent food flavorings or dietary supplements. To use essential oils for internal consumption, Young Living suggests these methods:
- Place several drops of oil into an empty capsule and swallow the capsule with water.
- Add 1–2 drops to a glass of water or rice milk.
- Put 1–2 drops onto a piece of bread or add to your meals when cooking.
- Add 1–2 drops onto a teaspoon of Young Living Blue Agave and swallow.
- Drop directly onto the tongue and swallow. Exercise caution when using this method. Many essential oils are potent and should be tested by pouring a single drop onto a spoon and tasting a small portion to determine the amount of oil to be used.
Want more information on how to use Young Living essential oils?
To find out more about the science behind essential oils or essential oil history and usage, consider the reference guide I use weekly: Essential Oils Pocket Reference
Why are Young Living oils more expensive than what is sold at the health food store?
Producing pure essential oils is costly. Consider that it often requires several hundred or even thousands of pounds of raw plant material to produce a single pound of essential oil.
For example, it takes three tons of melissa to produce one pound of essential oil. Its extremely low yield explains why melissa essential oil sells for $9,000 to $15,000 a kilo.
In the case of rose essential oil, it takes 5,000 pounds of rose petals to produce one pound of rose oil. When you understand how much plant material it takes to produce an essential oil, it is easy to understand why these oils are so costly.
Bear in mind that the vast majority of essential oils are produced for the perfume industry. This industry is only interested in the oil’s aromatic qualities, not it’s therapeutic qualities. Using high pressure with high temperatures and adding chemical solvents in the distillation process to produce greater quantities of oil at a faster rate is the common practice of the perfume industry.
Many people can’t tell the difference in the scent of an essential oil produced this way, but these oils lack true therapeutic properties and will not produce results. Many of the important chemical constituents necessary to produce therapeutic results are either flashed off with the high heat or do not have enough time to be released from the plant material. Added artificial fragrances boost what was lost in the harsh distillation process or didn’t have time to develop.
These practices are not acceptable for Young Living’s essential oils. Gary Young pioneered a specialized process that uses extremely low pressure and low temperature to yield the most potent essential oils on the market today.
Once plants have been harvested and distilled, Young Living puts the resulting essential oils through strict quality assurance tests. Samples are sent to independent and in-house labs where they endure a battery of tests, ensuring that when you crack open the seal of a Young Living essential oil, you are receiving the highest standard in purity, potency and preparation.